Friday, May 21, 2010

Bellingham Here I come!!!

OK so I sat down yesterday and thought about what to do next in my new found distance running career and I decided that I wanted to do something close enough that friends and family could come and cheer me on this time (OK Actually I just wanted something closer but feel free to come and cheer me on gang) so with that said I have decided that the Bellingham Bay Half-Marathon will be my next race. It is run on Sept 26, 2010. I actually wanted to do the Portland race with my friends Jim and Sue but it is sold out so unless I could get a charity spot I was going to be out of luck there.

I've heard from a few people that the Bellingham race is a nice race to do and end of September is a beautiful time of year in the Pacific Northwest so it should be a comfortable race. I will officially start my training for the race next Tuesday (May 25th). Over the course of the summer I'll fill in the blanks with some 5 and 10K races (just for fun) but Bellingham is now my focus. While I don't actually need 4 months to train for the race now I want to keep focused on my running and I am going to really be working on "off-day" strength training and low-impact aerobics.

I am feeling good about getting back "training" and today I did 4 miles of running/ellipticalling in my gym downstairs. It was an intense workout and I felt so comfortable with the running portion that I was doing interval sprints of 45-60 seconds getting up to 8 m.p.h. for the last few. I feel stronger now and know that with real focus and keeping an eye on what I eat over the next 4 months I could be racing in September 30-40lbs lighter than I am right now. I'll be updating on that part of my journey as well as I go along so stay tuned...

Til next time...

Mike

No comments: