Thursday, June 24, 2010

Bellingham Half Marathon Training-Day 5

Well today was day 5 of my "offical" training for Bellingham with my new orthotics. Between being in better shape and the new feet (ok well the feet are the same but you get the idea) I am feeling so much stronger than when I was training to run Eugene.

Today I ran at an average speed that was as fast as the fastest training run I had during my whole training program for Eugene. If I was to put it in a timeline that aligned my training for Bellingham with the Eugene run this is a run that I did 5 weeks from today, so that gives me a 5 week headstart on my speed training and I am currently running .64 mph (1.03km/h) faster today than I was at this point in my training for Eugene.

What does this all mean? Well it means that I'm in better shape, I'm lighter, My feet are working better because along with this speed I am not having any ankle or calf pains on my left side (like I did the whole time I was training for Eugene)

Speed and weight loss are both like snowballs, once they start picking up steam they just keep getting better. Now the trick here is as I start to run further distances I want to keep the speed up. If I were to be able to run at the speed I did today for the whole half marathon I would come in at a little over 2 hours 18 minutes for the 13.1 miles. I have set a target this race to run sub 2:30 so that would be a wonderful achievement to keep building on this speed.

As for weight loss once again I have not set a goal for myself. I am going to eat right, get sleep and keep on running and see where it takes me. I believe that by doing this and paying attention to my weight this is sustainable weight loss (even with my travels) and that is the most important thing. I do have two training runs to do while I am in Bangladesh so that will be fun but they are short ones so I am not worried about getting them in because I can do them at the hotel gym.

13 weeks 3 days to race day!

Til next time,

Mike

No comments: