Sunday, June 6, 2010

Sunday in Halifax Nova Scotia (with Flat Stanley...)














Shane's Flat Stanley meeting another tourist in Niagara Falls

Well good morning from FOGGY Halifax. I've had a really good week so far (not enough sleep but I never do when I travel). I met 7 amazing candidates for a new sales job I am recruiting for in Toronto. I said before I left that I wanted to have a really difficult decision when I got back because that meant I would get someone really good and that is how it is going to be. Maybe more difficult than I want even :-) but not a bad problem to have. I'm in Halifax as I am going to be meeting with a former colleague who is now the VP of an organisation that I believe we can help. Having said that, I've never been to Nova Scotia before (I know in all my travels I've missed out somewhere in Canada go figure) so this is actually a neat thing to be able to do.

Today I will be taking a road trip around the island with my son's "Flat Stanley". Flat Stanley is a story book character who Grade 3 classes in my son's school make a copy of and then mail him to different people they know to "experience" life where they live. The people take pictures of Flat Stanley doing things they would do, exploring their part of the world and telling a story about his journey's. Well this year my son's class is studying Canadian Pioneer times and quite frankly they ran out of time to have everyone send out their Flat Stanley's. When his teacher found out I was going to be travelling to Ontario and Nova Scotia she and my wife talked and Cheryll suggested that I could take Flat Stanley on a road trip with me. Needless to say his teacher thought this would be a great idea and so with that, Shane and one of his friends Ralph, made two Flat Stanley's for me to take with me.

So far on this trip Flat Stanley has been seen on a plane, in an airport and while we were in Toronto we took a road trip to Niagara Falls for Flat Stanley to see one of the wonders of the world. I had so much fun getting people to take pictures with Flat Stanley and I can't wait for the kids to see the pictures and hear the stories. Today Flat Stanley and I are going to go around the island here but most specifically we are going to go to Peggy's Cove (site of the Swissair 111 crash on September 2, 1998) I'm hoping to get more pictures of Flat Stanley with some other people but even if I don't I'm sure he'll have a great time.

Well it's 7:20 am here now so I better get going and have breakfast so I can get on the road. Going to visit my friend and his wife this afternoon so it's going to be a busy day.

til next time...

No comments: